Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Angels Say "La La La" and other things...

16 months and one week old...
As much as I love my little princess, she certainly can try my patience. Matthew and I have decided that she is a "strong-willed" child. It's only just beginning to manifest itself, but I have to say she's quite good at it! No is her favorite word as long as it's not directed at her.
Fortunately, she has other favorite words like popcorn, bubbles, and amen! I could say right now she's passionate about just about everything, but especially somersaults and blocks. And Daddy. And E-I-O (Old MacDonald). And music. And Baby Einstein Videos. And other children. And her blankie. Like I said, she's passionate.
I love a lot of things about my daughter, but the greatest thing about June is what she teaches me about God. How awesome is our Heavenly Father that He made the story of His son all about things children love? Kids love babies. So, God sent His son as a baby. Jesus wasn't sent as a grown-up to teach grown ups about grown up things. He was sent as a baby to teach grown-ups about baby things like loving, sharing, living day by day and faith. Who knows faith better than a child?
God also made the story of Jesus all about animals. It's almost like He said, "Hmm...now what could I do to make this story really fun for kids? I know, I'll surround the Baby with animals!." So, this baby was born in a barn, surrounded by sheep, goats, chickens, cows, lions, crocodiles and owls. Ok, so maybe we own the story in an unusual way at our house. But she really loves animals! Oh yeah, and kids love music, right? So, God sent angels. They sing. In fact, I don't know if you know this, but everything has a sound. Cows say "moo" sheep say "baa" and angels sing "la la la" (according to June).
Matthew 18:3 (Msg.) says, "Jesus called over a child, whom he stood in the middle of the room, and said, 'I'm telling you, once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you're not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God's kingdom. What's more, when you receive the childlike on my account, it's the same as receiving me.'" I don't think I need to say much more than that. All I know is that God really values children. What does this tell you about God?

1 comment:

violet-moon25 said...

well it seems June and Andrew (22months) have some things in common. He loves animals and singing Old McDonald...and he also has his "strong-willed" moments. But mostly he is a "high-energy" child and we are tired parents!

Rachel