Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Change is in the air-


All across the blogosphere, people are furiously typing, impassioned by a speech that may be the best I will ever hear in my lifetime. Some people are weeping in frustration, others are elated with hope, a few are just happy to get back to real life. I'm sitting here, in a pool of tears and soap bubbles; I clean when I'm emotional- you should see my kitchen...


I'm moved by the idea that a man whose parents could not sit together on the bus or even go to the same school, could be President of this country. I'm amazed that the year which marks the 40 year anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination could also be the year we see racism turned on it's head in The United States. I'm moved mostly by the idea that people in this nation still believe that hope and passion truly are the forces that move us towards our loftiest goals. So much of our rhetoric in recent years has been garbage- spin doctoring, dog wagging, pork barrels, subtle twisting of truths that become unrecognizable, greed, outright puppetry... somewhere in the midst of all that, a man was able to circumvent Washington politics and resurrect a vision that we all wanted to believe was still out there.


Ultimately, my hope is in God. But I believe God can work through Barack Obama to:

1) Funnel money towards helping people in need- health care, social services, financial crisis management

2) Raise awareness for social injustices across the world- including religious persecution, race, gender, etc.

3) Unite generations broken by politics and dischordant ideals

4) Remind us all to live with intention and integrity in our lives, unspoiled by the deep brokeness surrounding us, but moved by compassion to change it


I'm proud that my daughter is part of this generation. I'm sure there will be regrets, setbacks and disappointments. But right now, in this moment, I'm actually proud to be an American. And those words are rarely, if ever, spoken by me.

No comments: