Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name


I'm about to confess something rather unexpected. You who know me well would have been surprised to discover me hunched in the corner of the children's section at Barnes and Noble tonight with my scarf pulled up around my face. As clandestine as I felt, I was on the search for something I couldn't find through my beloved Barefoot Books. I was on a mission to browse the Christian books for a Bible for June. Of course, Barefoot Books doesn't sell Christian books (yet!) and certainly not Bibles. They also distinctly disapprove of the "big box" bookstores like B&N and so do I. HOWEVER, all that aside...I found the book I was looking for. If I had browsed online I'm sure I would have found it as well, but I needed to touch it and flip pages as would any good bibliophile. The unfortunate truth is that there are many poorly written and poorly illustrated Christian books for children. The fortunate truth is that this book is not one of them. The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name is written by Sally Lloyd Jones, an award-winning British author who has a way of explaining difficult Biblical concepts in a way that any two year old or reluctant theologian could understand. Not only that, but it is illustrated by the amazing Jago, who has also illustrated for Barefoot Books. This book was published over a year ago, so I'm sure I'm a little late on the blog-train, but I couldn't resist sharing this with you!


The Jesus Storybook Bible tells more than stories or history, it tells the underlying purpose of every page of God's word: Jesus. Jones relates every story, from creation to revelation, to Jesus Christ. At the end of the story of the fall of man she writes: "most stories would now be at THE END... But not this one..." continuing on to tell the promise that God lays out in Genesis 3:15 that a Redeemer would come who would crush the evil that so easily entangled Adam and Eve (and all of us).

Jago's artwork reflects the fantastical quality of Jones' stories. Fun, colorful (dare I say "whimsical?") and ethnically appropriate (one of my BIG pet peeves with Christian children's books), my two year old will easily sit through a full page of narrative with one of his pictures in front of her to spark her imagination.
I had to share this with you all, my faithful blog-readers. While you consider all the great Barefoot Books you want to buy for your kids, don't forget about the greatest Book of all.

2 comments:

Jago said...

Hello

Just calling in to say thanks for posting such a nice review and linking to my site.

You can see more illustrations from the book here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jago/sets/72157604217110131/

or on my site:

http://www.jagoillustration.com

I was also interviewed about the book recently:

http://jagoillustration.blogspot.com/2008/10/interview-with-me-about-jesus-storybook.html

Sally Lloyd-Jones said...

Hi!

I came across your lovely blog via a google alert thing and thought I'd stop by and say hello and thank you very much for posting about the book.

It's encouraging to know that you came across the book (and in a clandestine manner!). The book has been receiving a great deal of buzz and critical acclaim and we are blown away.

It's God's Wonderful Story and my honor to have a small part in retelling it for children (and grown ups!)

(I'm a big fan of barefoot and in fact when I was researching artists for the book--It was Jago's book, MYRON'S MAGIC COW, that I came across at one Book Expo and had kept on file!)

My best to you!
and I hope you and Juniper enjoy the book

(If you'd like me to, I can put you on my infrequent newsletter email list and keep you posted about some exciting new materials coming down the pike related to the book)

Sally
http://www.facebook.com/pages/sally-lloyd-jones/29128179904