Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Elder Wisdom

In the continuing wake of the unexpected loss of my father-in-law this past spring, I feel moved to meditate a bit on my other two dads.  One who gave me life and supported me throughout my life, and one who came along in the nick of time to offer extra needed support.  If anyone needed two dads, it was probably me!


Things I learned about parenting from my Dad:

Dad in his home environment
1) Play with your kids.  Legos and board games are best.  And camping.
2) When your kid runs away, don't give her the option of moving in with you.  Escape doesn't help anyone.
3) When said daughter calls and asks for advice, don't tell her what you think.  She might blame you later.  Besides, you love her either way, right?
4) Be graceful about your transition to an adult relationships with your kids.  Stop treating them like kids when they become adults.  Enjoy grown-up things with them, as much as you enjoyed kid-things when they were younger.


Things I learned about parenting from my step-dad:

Other Dad in his home environment (with my kid)
1) Play with your kids.  Legos and board games are best.  And camping.
2) When your kid runs away, don't nail her window shut.  She'll just go out the front door.
3) When said daughter asks for advice, pray a lot before responding.  Then take her camping instead.  Preferably far, far away from civilization.  Maybe you should take a boat.  Then you can tell her what you think and she can't get mad and run away again (see #2).
4) Be graceful about your transition to adult relationships with your kids.  Don't be afraid to take advice from them.  They might actually know something after all those years of hanging out with you.

Thanks, Dads.  I'm one lucky kid.

Does this really need a caption?  Seriously?






1 comment:

Eva Varga said...

Wonderful post! Dads are certainly special. The kids and I just spent the weekend with mine. My heart swells. :)